73,199 Hurley members around the world
Stay informed about Hurley Family online & offline events!
See our recent family gatherings
Hurley Family HistoryThe surname Hurley has become the anglicised version of several distinct original Irish patronymics:
1) Ó hUirthile, part of the Dál gCais tribal group, based in Clare and North Tipperary, from a personal name of uncertain meaning;
2) Ó Muirthile or Ó Murghaile, based around Kilbritain in west Cork, the most numerous of the three (MacLysaght, 1985); Woulfe (1923) gives the derivation from personal name meaning 'sea-tide';
3) Ó hIarlatha, from the district of Ballyvourney, also in Cork, whose name is more usually anglicised (O) Herlihy; Woulfe (1923) gives the derivation from personal name meaning 'under-lord';
4) Ó Comáin, usually anglicised Cummins in Co Cork, has also become 'Hurley' in some instances in Cos Cork and Clare, due to the mistaken belief that the personal name came from 'camán'- a hurley (stick), a practice known as 'pseudo-translation'.
In Griffith's 'Valuation' (1847-64) Hurley was most common in counties Cork (642), Kerry (87), Waterford (75), Limerick (73) and Tipperary (52). Total 1,127 Hurley and 105 Hurly.
Matheson's 'Special Report on Surnames in Ireland' (1909), based on the birth figures for 1890, listed Hurley as most numerous in counties Cork (86 births), Waterford, Dublin and Galway.
Hurley is also a Somerset surname, from a settlement of the name. There are also places so called in Berkshire and Warwickshire: Old English 'hyrne'- bend or corner and 'leah' - wood or clearing.
Who have we missed?
Tell us about any famous Hurley (or surname variant) you think we should add here. We will get our genealogists to check them out and add them to the list. Thanks!
Join the conversation with the Hurley tribe
- Find your Hurley ancestor
- Tell us about your Hurley Family
- Tell us about your Hurley ancestors
- Ask a question about the Hurley history
- Leave a message for Hurley family members
Invite more Hurley family members!
Write an email address and click 'Invite' to share this page with more members of the Hurley tribe.
Family Coat of Arms Generator
Why not see what your family crest could look like based on your own family characteristics?Create Crest