Who can see your post?Your post will show up in News Feed, on your profile and in search results.
7,563 Global O'SHAUGHNESSY Family Members
Stay informed about O'SHAUGHNESSY Family events
7 O'SHAUGHNESSY Members Joined
Sunday 11th December
2pm (New York), 7pm (Ire)
Our in-person family gatherings
Ireland's President Higgins family message
Our TEDx talk about family gatherings
Family spelling variants includes Shaughnessy
O'SHAUGHNESSY Family History
O'Shaughnessy & Shaughnessy Family History
Recorded as O'Shaughnessy and occasionally Shaughnessy, without the Gaelic prefix, this is a famous Irish surname. It has a special significance in a land where Christianity has such a hold. The O'Shaunghnessy clan are believed to be the direct descendants of the last pagan king of all Ireland, King Daithi, in the 10th century a.d. Certainly the clan were the most prominent sect in that part of the country known in ancient times as Ui Fiachra Aidhne, now County Galway, and it is said that they defeated their kinsmen the O'Cahills and the O'Clery's, to be the chiefs of the region.
The name is found primarily in County Galway and County Limerick.
O'Shaughnessy castles include Gort Castle, Fiddaun Castle, Ardamullivan Castle, Newtown Castle, Derryowen, which is just inside the County Clare border, Ballymulfaig, and a castle on one of the islands in Lough Cutra. According to a list naming the castles of County Galway and their owners, drawn up in 1574 by the English administration in Ireland, Islandmore Castle (now Thoor Ballylee) was listed as being owned by a John O'Shaughnessy.
Famous O'Shaughnessy People:
- Andrew O'Shaughnessy (historian), historian
- Barney O'Shaughnessy (1912–2007), Australian cricketer
- Daniel O'Shaughnessy (born 1994), Finnish footballer
- Edward O'Shaughnessy (1860–1885), English cricketer
- James O'Shaughnessy (born 1960), American author and investor
- Margaret Heckler (born 1931, Margaret Mary O'Shaughnessy), US lawyer and politician
- Nicholas O'Shaughnessy, professor, author and political commentator
- Patrick O'Shaughnessy (born 1993), Finnish footballer
- Roger O'Shaughnessy (died 1690), Captain in the Army of James II of England
- Tam O'Shaughnessy (born 1952), American author and educator
- William O'Shaughnessy (1673–1744), Major-General and Chief of the Name
PublicAnyone on or off Wales101
FriendsYour friends on Wales101
SpecificOnly show to some friends
Only meOnly you can see your post
Invite more O'SHAUGHNESSY family members!
Write an email address and click 'Invite' to share this page with more members of the O'SHAUGHNESSY tribe.
Family Coat of Arms Generator
Why not see what your family crest could look like based on your own family characteristics?Create Crest