O’Malley Chieftain’s 2020 Awards
What is it?
The Chieftain's Awards are the O'Malley Clan's way of recognising those O’Malleys whose contribution to the community, arts or sport deserve to be widely known and celebrated. In 2019 we recognised Anne Chambers, author of the definitive biography of Grace O'Malley, Martin O'Malley, US politician and former Governor of Maryland and John Hayes, legendary Irish rugby player.
Do you know someone who fits the bill?
In 250 words or less, please let us know who they are and why they deserve to be recognised by the O’Malley Chieftain.
The only qualifications are:
- They are of O’Malley ancestry, including all the name variants (Maillie, Maley, Malia, Malley, Mealey, Melia, Ó’Máille, O’Malia, O’Malie, O’Mealy, O’Meally). The connection could be through their mother or grandmother, so they don’t need to be called O’Malley or any of the above variants themselves.
- Someone you know personally who has made a contribution that you think deserves recognition.
- There are no particular time limits on when the person’s achievement(s) occurred.
- Their contributions must fit in 1 or more of these 3 categories:
- Community activities
- The arts (music, visual arts, theatre, literature, film/TV/radio, etc.)
To nominate somebody please fill out the below form. Please check that the nominee is happy for their name to go forward.
Nomination Form (entries close on May 25th 2020)
All fields are required:
Having a problem with your nomination? Email us directly on email@example.com
At the O’Malley Gathering in Mayo in 2020, the Chieftain will announce an award in each of the 3 categories, following the Gathering lunch on Sunday 28th June at Hotel Newport (subject to change).
There will be a panel of 5 judges. Guardian Chieftain, Ellen O’Malley Dunlop will chair the panel. The current chieftain (Tom) and last 3 chieftains (Brendan, Pearce and Sarah) will make up the remainder.